Check In/Out times
Check in/out times
Check in: 2.30pm
Check out: 10am
This hostel couldn’t be more aptly named – nestled between the Wakatipu lakefront and Shotover St it’s right in the rapidly beating heart of this famous little resort town of Queenstown. Everything is on your doorstep – cafes, bars, restaurants and the waterfront with all its activities.
Previously part of the ‘Old Mountaineer Hotel’, one of the first hotels in Queenstown, all the accommodation at the YHA Queenstown Central hostel now includes ensuites and TVs, free tea and coffee in private rooms and some rooms even have their own balcony or a lake view. Backpackers love that all the multi-share rooms are nice and small (5-share maximum) and all with private ensuites. The views from the comfortable upstairs lounge make for a most picturesque chill-out zone.
The staff are super-friendly and clued up about getting you the best possible deals on activities in Queenstown, which they’re happy to book for free on your behalf.
Please note that there is no bike storage or onsite parking at the hostel
Qualmark & Reviews
“Clean and well maintained, this hostel's crowning glory is the excellent kitchen and the lounge with its enormous windows and panoramic views of the lake… The staff are welcoming and helpful and the atmosphere is calm and family friendly.” – by Simone Egger, Lonely Planet
Things to do
Things to do in YHA Queenstown Central
- Have a Queenstown adventure: bungy jumping, skydiving, white water rafting, jetboating, hang-gliding, luging and canyoning can all be experienced in Queenstown.
- In winter go skiing at nearby Coronet Peak, The Remarkables or Cardrona ski fields.
- Take a day trip from Queenstown to the magical Milford Sounds or Doubtful Sounds.
- Tour the Central Otago region’s many award-winning wineries and taste a drop or two.
- Eat, drink and be merry at possibly the best selection of restaurants and bars in New Zealand outside of Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington.